Barnaby investigates a death which looks very much like suicide. The dead man was a troubled and depressed gambler on a losing streak, but Barnaby's nose tells him to look for a murderer. During the investigation he recognizes someone from his past, in the shape of Dr Jane Moore.
DCI Barnaby and DS Troy investigate an apparent suicide that is just a tad too elaborate for them to accept at face value. The man had been under treatment for depression, his wife had recently divorced him and he owed money to a good many people. Barnaby's doubts are confirmed when the autopsy reveals the man was drugged. There are no end of suspects: the ex-wife, her soon to be new husband who also happens to be a dispensing chemist and the doctor and counselor who treated him at a nearby clinic. When other residents of Midsomer Worthy are killed, the detectives must try to determine the common link among all of the victims
- John Nettles as DCI Tom Barnaby
- Daniel Casey as Sgt Gavin Troy
- Jane Wymark as Joyce Barnaby
- Laura Howard as Cully Barnaby
- Isla Blair as Dr. Jane Moore
- Perdita Weeks as Hannah Moore
- Mark Richards as Guy Moore
- Anna Maguire as Ettie Moore
- Jan Ravens as Sarah Wroath
- Philip Fox as Gordon Leesmith (as Phillip Fox)
- Stuart Bunce as Tony Parish
- Jonty Stephens as Jeff Haskin
- Paul Brennen as Dean Hunniset
- June Watson as Mary May
- John Branwell as Mick May
- Barry Jackson as Dr. George Bullard
- Jon Rake as Ron
- Susan Porrett as Sonia
- Sophie Holland as Young Mother (uncredited)
- This episode is one of the few in the series when an attempt is made to kill an investigating officer.
- The band that appears in the episode was comprised of members of the City of Oxford Silver Band.
The following actors and actresses who appeared in this episode have also appeared in the following episodes