|This Article needs additional content. (Remove this when complete.)|
DCI Barnaby and DC Jones investigate the murder of Connor Simpson, a member of the Midsomer Worthy choir that had been rehearsing for an upcoming competition. The man was found in his home, bludgeoned to death with a poker. Simpson had received an apparently threatening note attached to a pig's heart. Soon after all members of the choir, Joyce Barnaby included, receive notes saying they're next. When local birdwatcher and photographer Sam Judd is also found dead—the victim of a 12 gauge shotgun—Barnaby is convinced that the two deaths are somehow linked. When they learn of Simpson's criminal convictions—and the reasons he went to jail—they are set on the path to solving the mystery.
- John Nettles as DCI Tom Barnaby
- Jason Hughes as DC Ben Jones
- Jane Wymark as Joyce Barnaby
- Laura Howard as Cully Barnaby
- Barry Jackson as Dr. George Bullard
- Patrick Drury as Connor Simpson
- Peter Capaldi as Laurence Barker
- Annabelle Apsion as Ellen Barker
- Sara Stewart as Carolyn Armitage
- Ronan Vibert as Giles Armitage
- Scott Handy as Stephen Latimer
- John Shrapnel as Leo Clarke
- Michael Fitzgerald as Francis Crawford
- John Cording as Sam Judd
- Alwyne Taylor as Dr. Catherine "Kath" Bullard
- Anthony Farrelly as Police Officer (uncredited)
- Joyia Fitch as Waitress (uncredited)
- Both Joyce Barnaby and Dr. George Bullard are a part of the Midsomer Worthy choir lead by Laurence Barker.
- Stephen Latimer and Carolyn Armitage were once a couple before she married.
- Stephen Latimer was the one who discovered the body of Connor Simpson.
- Sam Judd was originally the estate keeper for Hartsmede but was fired by Giles Armitage to cut costs. He is also an avid bird watcher.
- DC Jones is a fan of singing opera in the shower. He is a tenor as Joyce Barnaby exclaims. He joins the choir to investigate them.
The following actors and actresses who appeared in this episode have also appeared in the following episodes: