|This Article needs additional content. (Remove this when complete.)|
Death in the Slow Lane is the first episode of the fourteenth series of the popular British crime drama Midsomer Murders and first aired 23rd March 2011. John Barnaby makes his first appearance after taking over from his cousin Tom who retired at the end of series thirteen.
DCI John Barnaby arrives in Causton on his cousin Tom's retirement. Jones misses his old boss and the two men do not gel, especially as Barnaby seems dismissive of Jones' efforts to restore a vintage car once driven by local racer Duncan Palmer for a classic car competition hosted at her school by frosty headmistress Harriet Wingate. Palmer faked his death in the 1960s but was actually found dead in Midsomer some years later. His old team-mate Peter Fossett is judging the contest and the entrants include Peter's brisk, bossy daughter Kate Cameron and her ex-husband Jamie, now in love with Harriet's shy daughter Jessica. Kate will do anything to win, enlisting the help of the other judge, radio D.J. Dave Doggy Day, who is found murdered. Soon after another young man is killed, who turns out to be involved with Kate's precocious schoolgirl daughter Charlotte in drug dealing. After Barnaby has discovered that Duncan Palmer was Jessica's father, he confronts the killer, but has cause to show respect for Jones who rescues him from being another victim of Death in the Slow Lane.
- Neil Dudgeon as DCI John Barnaby
- Jason Hughes as DS Ben Jones
- Barry Jackson as Dr George Bullard
- David Warner as Peter Fossett
- Edna Doré as Granny Brightwell
- Susan Engel as Harriet Wingate
- Lucy Briers as Jessica Wingate
- Tim Dutton as Jamie Cameron
- Samantha Bond as Kate Cameron
- Clara Paget as Charlotte Cameron
- Luke Allen-Gale as Dave Doggy Day
- Sid Mitchell as Thomas Brightwell
- Gwyneth Keyworth as Bethan
- Daisy Keeping as Nerys
- Darren Clarke as Daniel
- Barry Aird as Jock
- Cate Fowler as Mrs Carter
- Francine Morgan as Deirdre
- Nicholas Asbury as Henry
- Grahame Fox as Nick the Money
- Jack Bence as Freddy
- Josie Kidd as Peggy
- Leah Whitaker as WPC
- Richard Clifford as Hugh Snape
- James Richard Marshall as Young Peter Fossett
- James O'Donnell as Duncan Palmer (uncredited)
- James Philip Shaw as Unruly Youth (uncredited)
- Nick Thomas-Webster as CID Officer (uncredited)
- Chris Wilson as Police Officer (uncredited)
Prior to the Episode
In the Episode
Body Count Notes
- All the murders took place in or around classic cars.
- First appearance of Sykes the dog.
- Sarah Barnaby does not appear in this episode as she is still teaching class in Brighton.
The following actors and actresses who appeared in this episode have also appeared in the following episodes