John Nettles (born 11 October 1943) is an English actor, best known for playing the leading roles in Midsomer Murders and Bergerac.
- The episode Fit For Murder is actor John Nettles’ final appearance as he hands in his police badge after over 80 episodes and 14 years in the starring role as British television’s top detective.
- More than 250 suspicious deaths have rocked the tranquil surroundings of Midsomer since Barnaby took office. Stabbing and strangulation have been joined by many bizarre murderous methods, including death by poisonous frogs, spontaneous combustion, falling from a doped horse and getting speared by King Neptune’s trident.
- Fit For Murder also features the final episode for Jane Wymark, who has played Barnaby’s long-suffering wife Joyce since the series began in 1997, and Laura Howard, who has co-starred regularly as his daughter Cully.
- Some of the top names in British television join John for his final episode. Geraldine James, Lesley Manville, Jason Durr, Ronni Ancona and Shaun Dingwall are among the latest guest stars joining the roll call of almost 1000 famous names who have played killers, victims or red herrings in the drama.
- Fit For Murder also features an appearance by Midsomer’s new detective Neil Dudgeon who takes over this year as DCI John Barnaby, a cousin of the original Barnaby who moves to Midsomer to team up with DI Ben Jones, played by established Midsomer Murders star Jason Hughes.
"I wanted to die in noble fashion in the service of my country and then be buried with full military honours in Westminster Abbey. In the event, Tom and his long-suffering wife Joyce will simply retire. It’s always better to leave when people want more."
"The departure of John Nettles from Midsomer Murders marks the end of an era, as the series grew from a single, pilot episode to become one of the best-known and most-watched TV dramas in the world.