The gruesome discovery of a farmer's eviscerated body in an ancient stone circle is made just days before the spring equinox.
DCI John Barnaby and DS Ben Jones investigate the murder of a local farmer, Alex Preston, whose body is found laid out in the middle of a stonehenge in Midsomer Mow. The new medical examiner, Dr. Kate Wilding, confirms that the victim was disemboweled but that a head injury was the likely cause of death. He was likely killed at his home and his body moved. His wife Eleanor reappears and it seems she's been having an affair with her fencing instructor. A local police sergeant suspects a group of Druids who had a spat with Preston over access to the henge. There's no direct evidence linking them to the death but then one of the Druids is stabbed to death in her house. A third death leads Barnaby to conclude that greed and a valuable treasure are at the root of it all.
- Neil Dudgeon as DCI John Barnaby
- Jason Hughes as DS Ben Jones
- Fiona Dolman as Sarah Barnaby
- Tamzin Malleson as Kate Wilding
- Lee Ross as Sergeant Trevor Gibson
- Richard Leaf as Evan Jago
- Susan Brown as Leticia Clifford
- Alan Williams as Ezra Canning
- Robert Pugh as Caradoc Singer
- Claudia Harrison as Eleanor Preston
- Noah Huntley as Aidan Hardy
- Colin Tarrant as Eric
- Justin Shevlin as Alex Preston
- Nick Thomas-Webster as CID Officer (uncredited)
- Chris Wilson as Police Officer (uncredited)
- First appearance of Dr. Kate Wilding.
The following actors and actresses who appeared in this episode have also appeared in the following episodes
- Noah Huntley - Who Killed Cock Robin?